Pages

Wednesday 13 November 2013

Typhoon Haiyan Relief

Hello Friends,

Today I write about the devastation in the Philippines caused by Typhoon Haiyan. I have never been there, met the people or seen the land, but what I do know is these people desperately need our help.

It breaks my heart to watch the news and see the filipino's mourn the loss of their family members, young and old. Many have died from the hurricane winds, but the survivors are suffering now too. They need food and water. 

My good friend and editor, Todd Barselow has started a donation page where he is taking the money you donate and personally delivering these needed supplies to the poor people there. I cannot think of a time where I have donated to a cause and seen where my money has gone. Todd has been posting pictures of his purchases and giving a run-down of what he's delivered day by day.

This is amazing and my admiration for this man has grown because of his actions. It is not every day you will come across someone willing to take time from work, family and themselves to do what Todd has done and continues to do. Thank you, Todd.  


I have taken the below statements from the donation page:


What We Need

Donations of any amount will be greatly appreciated and will truly help to make a difference. I've set the time for this campaign for 15 days only in an effort to speed up the relief effort, so please share it far and wide. The goal I'm reaching for is $1500 which is approximately PHP 60,000. This will go a very long way.
Donations will be used to purchase rice, canned goods, bottled water, clothing, and everyday essential items such as soap, toothpaste and toothbrushes, toilet paper, etc...

There are many collection points for physical items and donations here. I will be making the purchases myself and leaving the items at one of these collection points here is Las Pinas City. I will not be giving cash as a donation at the collection point, only physical, tangible goods. 


The Impact

The impact, though small, will nevertheless be significant. If I can provide food, water, clothing, and essential items for only a handful of families then I will have made a difference, and you will have, too. 


Other Ways You Can Help

If you are unable to contribute to this campaign, please share it at least. The Philippines needs all of the help it can get right now.



“Love is not patronizing and charity isn't about pity, it is about love. Charity and love are the same -- with charity you give love, so don't just give money but reach out your hand instead."  ~ Mother Teresa
                                                                                                       
Kat

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post, Kat. We need all the help we can get here. These people are really and truly in dire straits. I'm thankful for each and every person who has taken the time to share this campaign and everyone who has given so selflessly. I will continue to make food and supply purchases as often as possible and as long as people are able to continue to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Todd for starting this, and to all who have donated to and shared this post. Bless you all! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat may I copy this post and put it on my own blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amanda,

    Yes, please do! The more people we can make aware, the better. :)

    ReplyDelete